Have you inherited an outdated shower? Does your shower produce more of a dribble than a cascade of water?
I have been using a handheld shower head for years, and that’s how I’ve been successfully combating low water pressure.
They play a huge role in my superb pressurOUS showers, and can do the same for YOU!
But it wasn’t always like that…
Surprisingly, ever since I started using these types of high pressure handheld shower heads, my morning productivity has increased, and overall I feel better!
No wonder they say “motion creates emotion.”
This is how a simple change gets me in the right mental state day-in-day-out.
Do you want to break negative patterns?
I know I did, like hitting lose to the snooze.
Now, I genuinely enjoy waking up to a blistering shower.
I’m no longer stuck in bed. No longer stuck with a dribble of water. No longer stuck in a vicious time-to-hygiene compromising cycle.
No longer stuck in the past…
These shower heads encourage a positive routine, get you in the right mental state and get you unstuck, and moving.
But, the thing is…
…you can find them in various settings, designs, finishes, and built quality. All important considerations!
That, my friend, is the tricky part and where this guide comes into play.
Our team at Smartlydwelling has turned the market upside down and picked the best handheld shower heads for low water pressure on the market.
In this definitive review and guide, we’ll cover:
- The 6 best handheld shower heads for low water pressure, for unique use cases;
- All of their specific pros and cons;
- High pressure handheld shower heads for every budget.
- What you need to know about their designs;
- Lots more!
Most other reviews out there beat around the bush and only detail features rather than explaining how it has improved their showering and affected their day-to-day lives.
Don’t be surprised. Let’s just say I wish I’d had this review or collection of experiences BEFORE I had to figure it out on my own…
You’re about to find out why.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Handheld Shower Heads for Low Water Pressure – 2022 Reviews
- 1.1 1. Best Overall – YOO.MEE Handheld Shower Head with Powerful Shower Spray against Low Pressure Water Supply Pipeline (Editor’s Choice Award)
- 1.2 2. Waterpik XRO-763 High Pressure Powerpulse Massage Hand Held Shower Head, with 7 Spray Settings (Best Value Award)
- 1.3 3. High Sierra’s Solid Metal Handheld Shower Head with Slip-Free Grip, and Holder Chrome (Top Pick Award)
- 1.4 4. AquaDance 6-Setting 3.5″ Chrome Face Handheld Shower with Hose for Low Water Pressure (Best Budget Option)
- 1.5 5. Couradric 6 Shower Spray Setting Shower Head, Brass Swivel Ball Bracket and Extra Long Stainless Steel Hose (Best Shower Head With Handheld Attachment)
- 1.6 6. LOKBY High-Pressure Handheld Shower Head 6-Setting (Best Handheld Shower Head For Low Water Supply Pipeline) – Chrome
- 2 Buyers Guide: How To Choose The Best Handheld Shower Head For Low Water Pressure
- 2.1 Features To Look Out For
- 2.2 Handheld Shower Heads and Specifications Explained
- 2.3 Things To Consider
- 3 FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion: Best Handheld Shower Head for Low Water Pressure on the Market
- 5 You May Also Enjoy These Related Articles
- 5.1 How to Clean Grout in the Shower and Bathroom
- 5.2 How To Replace a Shower/Tub Cartridge For The First Time
- 5.3 How To Unclog a Shower Drain: The Ultimate Tips
- 5.4 Thermostatic vs Pressure Balance Shower Valves Pros And Cons – Differences You Need To Know
- 5.5 How to Replace a Shower Head: Six Easy Steps!
- 5.6 10 Best Shower Head Extensions – Cramp-Free Experience 2022 Reviews
The Best Handheld Shower Heads for Low Water Pressure – 2022 Reviews
1. Best Overall – YOO.MEE Handheld Shower Head with Powerful Shower Spray against Low Pressure Water Supply Pipeline (Editor’s Choice Award)
|Material||Chrome-plated premium ABS, stainless steel hose|
|Item Dimensions||8.9 x 3.3 x 1.8 inches|
|Setting Type||Powerful Rain, Massage, Mixed|
|Style||High Pressure Multi-functions handheld shower head|
|Bottom Line||This YOO.MEE high-pressure handheld shower head with powerful shower spray comes with 79” steel hose, extra hose gasket, and a maximum flow rate of 2.5 GPM with the included water flow regulator.|
- Three silky smooth body spray settings (powerful shooting, pulse massage, and mixed)
- Sturdy, lengthy hose
- Installs like twisting a bulb
- It doesn't contain a pause button
- Highest-pressure setting can be noisy
Low water pressure areas suck. Old shower plumbing doesn’t do much of a favor either.
That makes for a miserable showering experience and sends your precious time down the drain to oblivion.
Enter: YOO.MEE – the turbocharging handheld shower for any plumbing, shower size, and day-to-day needs…
…with all the essential features of showerheads 10x the price.
If we had to choose one handheld shower head for low water pressure for the rest of our lives, it’d be this one – our Editor’s Choice Awardee.
Here’s how it works:
- Ferocious spray shooting – at the palm of your hand. Hold this shower head now and take control of your shower routine as you optimize your experience and get sparkling clean in a flash. No fiction here, just a highly rewarding and exciting showering experience.
- The shortcut to your “everyday vacation” comes with – massaging jet sprayer, tropical rain downpour, and a jet blaster – eliminating all yuckiness and dead skin on sight. The multifunctional handheld shower head can also be used as fixed with a wall-mounted adjustable bracket. Meaning “this hits different” vibes will get to you as it finds your sweet spot and allows you to zen out and de-stress.
- Extensive flexibility – featuring a kink-free 79-inch hose of steel that’s unlike any other at this price point, allowing you to easily reach dirty spots or even the shower next door (only a slight exaggeration). Not to mention bathing your lovely pets is a breeze, all without breaking your back.
You probably thought you couldn’t afford a spa-like luxury shower experience.
So did I. That makes two of us.
YOO.MEE is the best shower head to increase water pressure. It’s reliable (although ABS plastic, two years, still going) and makes for a vigorous sensation in the comfort of your home.
Besides enhancing your place of sanctuary with its versatility…
…it’ll cut down your shower time on demand and make you way more productive while alleviating shower pressure-related stress.
Though we have to warn you!
This is not for the faint of heart, and sensitive skin might not be a fan of this unit.
But luckily, the water flow regulator comes separately, and it’s easy to install.
And a big plus!
We were amazed by the manufacturer’s exceptional customer service. They answered all our questions and concerns.
P.S they’ll cover against any manufacturing defects – talk about peace of mind!
And if matching your scheme is the asterisk in your list – the brushed nickel is sure to bring a touch of elegance to any bathroom.
So, dive into your new shower now!
2. Waterpik XRO-763 High Pressure Powerpulse Massage Hand Held Shower Head, with 7 Spray Settings (Best Value Award)
|Item Dimensions||2.75 x 4.25 x 10 inches|
|Style||2.5 GPM Chrome Detachable Showerhead with seven spray settings|
|Bottom Line||Waterpik High-Pressure Powerpulse is the best value handheld shower head on a budget with 7-spray settings that will invigorate and rejuvenate your body.|
- Eco-friendly spray
- Water-saving shower heads
- Choose from seven modes of spray
- Quick to assemble
- The hose sometimes leaks and tends to have a smell of chemicals
- The hose is too short
- The shower head is too high when attached to the bracket
Waterpik XRO-763 is by far the best massage ++ handheld shower head for low water pressure.
It works wonders by soothing your achy muscles and sensitive skin…
…which means it’ll replace out-of-home massage sessions and endless appointments. It’ll even save you tons of precious time and money!
Proven from our experience and countless raving reviews – the best value for the money winner!
You’ll be surprised to learn that…
The XRO-763 power pulse massage shower head is clinically confirmed to relieve muscle stiffness, increase flexibility, and promote deep sleep.
If your body has had it from exhausting work days, we’d recommend the Waterpik shower head over our Editor’s Choice YOO.MEE.
First of all, it comes with a 5-year warranty that covers against any manufacturing defects.
Second, the water-saving trickle option is very convenient. It’ll reduce the water output but won’t completely stop it, so you’ll keep the same water temperature on a resume.
…beware of extensive restrictions that could lead to hot water buildup at the top of the shower pipe.
I’m sure you’ll agree that leaks are no fun! If you experience one with this model, it should be an easy plumbers tape fix to seal the deal.
Third, if you’ve never installed a shower head, this was made for you – Installation could not have been easier!
Lastly, some users report a chemical smell from the hose.
We didn’t have such an experience, and the hose is the perfect length for a compact shower. However, it’s like a paralyzed snake and is fairly stiff.
That being said…
…if you’re looking to make this purchase stellar, this 96’’inch metal Waterpik hose will leave no room left for desire and make for luxury shower experience.
But that’s all minor and doesn’t take away the rejuvenating feeling with perfect pressure during all stages like power rain, paint-stripper, or pulsating option.
Overall it checks many boxes, it’s lightweight (made from plastic), easy to maneuver, promotes wellness, and has a modern design as a bonus!
3. High Sierra’s Solid Metal Handheld Shower Head with Slip-Free Grip, and Holder Chrome (Top Pick Award)
|Item Dimensions||12.8 x 6.34 x 2.32 inches|
|Style||2.0 GPM Chrome Detachable Showerhead With Slip-Free Grip Trickle Valve, Hose with Silicone Inner Tube, and Holder|
|Setting Type||Full Body|
|Manufacturer||High Sierra Showerheads|
|Bottom Line||The High Sierra is the perfect buy if high-quality materials and safety as additional feature is the most important factor to you next to combating low water presure.|
- Seductive design
- Efficient output
- Meticulous leak-free construction
- Entirely made from metal (worth every penny)
- Made in the USA
- Installation is a breeze
- Spray is decent but not the widest
- Unlike the YOO.MEE model & Waterpik XRO - 763, this has a single-spray mode
Looking for high pressure shower head so convenient your loved one will only be slightly annoyed that you spent money on “that weird shape” shower fixture?
Behold – the only handheld shower head on this list that’s perfect for low water pressure, long showers, and bathing your pets – all while providing blistering spray, but is also water-conscious?!
That’s nuts, we know…
In all seriousness, our TOP Awardee is sleek, and when I wasn’t testing the water output, I left it on a trickle setting, and that was such an exhilarating and long but efficient showering experience.
But, more on that in a bit…
The space-shaped head means it fits snugly in the bracket, and the chrome finish makes it look more like a real pressure washer.
You can exfoliate dead skin with it and beat the nitty-gritty daily.
Here’s why you’ll love it:
- Safety on Safety on Safety: You can hold it all day, knowing its slip-free rubberized grip won’t turn your back and slip on your foot.
- Hey, so you’re a shower fanatic?: Good luck keeping your eyes away from this shower fixture. It’s dreamy!
- Multi-purpose: The other handheld showerheads, including the YOO.MEE & Waterpik XRO – 763 are great for low water pressure. This one? Great convenience (long-hose & water-conscious), durable (all-metal, pays for itself over time), care-free usage by any member, even kids and elderly.
Why you might not like it:
- Safety on Safety on Safety (The Bad Way): The rubberized slip-free grip means it skyrockets your peace of mind and makes this the new norm. So, you might end up spoiled and genuinely turned off by any other shower head.
- Durability: It’s strong enough for your day-to-day shower beating, but if you’re an impulsive buyer that looks for a daily change, “this won’t be your pair of socks.”
- Step up: It’s a quality shower fixture with some weight to it, so it might feel like it’s pushing you to work out before you take a shower. Not too heavy, though.
Verdict: Want a compliment-gathering shower head that doesn’t look like one? This is it.
My wife even offers guests a shower first (not that they stink, though), then coffee comes second. Something she didn’t use to do with our old shower set-up.
Buy it nice or buy it twice!
4. AquaDance 6-Setting 3.5″ Chrome Face Handheld Shower with Hose for Low Water Pressure (Best Budget Option)
|Material||Chrome Plated Premium ABS, Stainless Steel Hose|
|Item Dimensions||6 x 3.5 x 10 inches|
|Style||Spiral Style Handheld Showerhead 2.5 GPM|
|Setting Type||Rain, Pause, Massage|
|Bottom Line||The AquaDance is a perfect option for shower enthusiasts who want to be spoiled with various settings, including decent massage on a budget.|
- Surprisingly good looking for the price
- Proper settings for customization
- Consistent spray throughout all modes
- No-tool installation
- Water saving pulse mode
- Isn’t calcium resistant - requires maintenance
- Sits somewhat high in the shower
Want a super cheap high pressure shower head that’s ready to go in seconds and takes literally no space in the shower?
And one that does all that while still giving you enough mind-altering settings to play with and revolutionize your shower?
The AquaDance boasts three shower spray modes: pulsating massage, which is almost as good as the one in Waterpik XRO-763, intense high pressure shower spray, and broad power mist.
You’ll be ready to start showering minutes after the AquaDance arrives.
And unlike pretty much every other budget shower head on the market…
… this is infused with some evil strength spell that gifts it the ability to handle tremendous water output.
And oh boy, the pressure is consistent throughout all setting cycles.
You’ll realize immediately why so many raving users and budget shower fanatics swear by this shower head.
… you’ll be ready to shower with 0 assembly literally a lightbulb twist. The whole time you’ll have plenty of space for your “private show in the shower,” even in cramped space.
Once you’re done, put it away and snugly place it in its bracket so your partner or family members won’t get on your tail for placing that short (5-foot hose) but beautiful stainless steel decor anywhere else, but the shower wall.
As far as drawbacks go, it’s not that big, so the coverage is limited. And the shower head doesn’t swivel down past the 45-degree angle.
But hey, this is a bare-bones high-pressure jet. What did you expect?
In a nutshell:
If you want a shower head that is quick and easy to put together, doesn’t require any work, and will solve your shower pressure woes in seconds, then the AquaDance 3.5’’ Face is a perfect fit for you.
Factor in the low price you can pick it up for, and you’ve got yourself a compact yet powerful wallet-friendly shower head.
Plus it’s gorgeous, you’ll want to buy it in all the colors!
5. Couradric 6 Shower Spray Setting Shower Head, Brass Swivel Ball Bracket and Extra Long Stainless Steel Hose (Best Shower Head With Handheld Attachment)
|Material||Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)|
|Item Dimensions||10 x 5 x 4 inches|
|Style||Standard 2.5 GPM|
|Setting Type||Rain, Massage|
|Bottom Line||Great value and consistent water pressure. By far the most sturdy handheld attachment at this price tag, with outstanding lever function.|
- Exceptional mode switching mechanism
- Anti-kink 6'' long flexible hose
- 5-FT head has nice spray coverage
- Calcium buildup resistant
- Top-notch finish
- Installation instructions could've been clearer
- Some spray patterns lack distinction
Close your eyes and imagine an elegant shower head with a handheld attachment.
If you did this, chances are you imagined something that looked just like the Couradric 6 spray modes shower head.
The Couradric is a modern style high pressure shower head that looks JUST LIKE other brand name shower heads.
The ONLY reason this is fifth on our list is because of the price – it’s a few dollars more expensive, but the AquaDance was even cheaper.
If you’re looking for a dynamic shower head to combat low water pressure that comes with surprisingly good durability at this price tag, get the Coradradric shower head.
- First, it comes with LIFETIME limited warranty and technical support backed by outstanding customer service. You were looking for peace of mind. Right?
- Second, it provides an abundance of pressure that’s synonymous with pressure washers at your local car detailing centers. Hold it and feel its sturdiness as you clean those hard-to-reach spots in a breeze. It helps your shower reach new heights.
- Third, it has a mode switching mechanism – the lever gives you a precise feeling and works seamlessly. This is almost a standard for more expensive detachable shower heads, and the Couradric checks off that requirement nicely.
- Fourth, its distinct 6’’ FT flexible hose gives you the freedom to move around the shower, heck even across your tub, without rising your anxiety levels worrying about a sudden kiss with the wall.
The Couradric detachable shower head is a winner with its solid swivel ball joints and sturdy but easy-to-use mounting bracket.
In the look for outstanding spray patterns and spray variety? This is not the one. Get the Waterpik XRO-763.
However, with the water pressure it provides, you couldn’t ask for more – It’ll rinse the shampoo out of the thickest and longest hair in a snap.
But the best part…
… unlike any other shower head on the list, it has a shampoo rinsing mode made with kids in mind, and it’s nothing short of amazing!
So, if you have a vintage home with old plumbing and your wishlist looks like the above.
This is what you need to mount.
6. LOKBY High-Pressure Handheld Shower Head 6-Setting (Best Handheld Shower Head For Low Water Supply Pipeline) – Chrome
|Material||Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)|
|Item Dimensions||10 x 5 x 4 inches|
|Bottom Line||Lokby comes with all essentials for easy installation. It is the perfect option if spray coverage and distance altogether is what you’re looking for.|
- Solid head size with proper spray coverage
- Variety of modes for a customizable experience
- Comfortable and easy to use design
- Plumbers tape included for breezy installation
- Hose length isn't suitable for larger showers
- Sloppy swivel piece
In my opinion, LOKBY commands significant market share over the reasonably priced high pressure handheld shower head niche.
They have quite a few solid options at really affordable prices, and that’s hard to overlook.
This particular shower head is designed to combat low water pressure supply pipelines.
You can pick it up in chrome, matte black, or brushed nickel, and it’ll help you save on your water bill.
P.S. The Matte Black looks astonishing on white tiles!
But, don’t worry!
It has an additional feature! Just like the High Sierra you can conserve water without sacrificing performance.
This comes with 1.8 GPM vs 2.0 GPM from the High Sierra model. Now considering the quality, this is no substitute by any means. In fact, both models are quite distinct.
Remember: this shower head is way cheaper hence it’s lightweight and made out of plastic, but it has a variety of powerful spray options to choose from VS a single spray option from the metal High Sierra model.
The handheld shower has an ergonomic feel and, in my opinion, should’ve included the ON/OFF switch, which is hard to use due to its uncomfortably awkward position.
Its easy-to-clean nozzles are proven to work great against buildup of minerals, so you can enjoy its invigorating stream without having to dip it in vinegar daily.
Keep in mind…
… if you’re fantasizing about a hands-free shower. This is not the one.
Although it comes with a swivel, it’s all over the place and swivels too nicely, meaning its powerful spray is hard to keep in place.
So, you’re better off with the High Sierra model or YOO.MEE, which isn’t water conservative.
Furthermore, the hose is sufficiently long for compact showers. However, with 5’’FT in length, it’s on the lower end and might not check your desired wishlist.
On the other hand, it provides a relaxing shower with a wide spray that goes far and out with shoulder-to-shoulder coverage and leaves no spots left for desire. Plus, it’s a 2 min installation, literally!
You get plumbers tape, washers, and a flow inhibitor which we don’t recommend installing…
… so you can experience the difference and make the switch today!
Buyers Guide: How To Choose The Best Handheld Shower Head For Low Water Pressure
Features To Look Out For
1. Angle Adjustable Spray
Angle Adjustable Spray improves your experience by angling the spray to your desired area. To hell with itchy unreachable spots. This will increase overall flexibility and make a huge impact, especially in cramped showers.
2. Diverse Spray Modes
Personalization and customization. We love that. Consider the Couradric high pressure shower heads or Waterpik XRO – 763. They come with pampering spray modes, so you can find the one that best suits your needs and get revitalized.
3. Easy to Clean (Anti-Clog) Nozzles
Stiff, non-removable nozzles can lead to the build-up of mold and bacteria over time. Anti-clog nozzles will make it easier to keep the shower head clean and free from build-up. The nozzles should either be flexible to swipe-off buildup or removable so they can be easily cleaned with a brush or fixture cleaner.
4. Convenient Anti-Slip Showerhead Grip
The anti-slip grip on the handle of the shower head can make it easier to hold onto when wet. This feature can come in handy, especially if you have a weak grip or if your hands tend to get slippery in the shower.
5. Kink-Free Shower Hose
A kink-free hose is a must-have feature for any high pressure shower head. If the hose kinks, it can reduce water pressure, and deteriorate your fixture internally, which means your shower experience will be ruined.
Handheld Shower Heads and Specifications Explained
1. Material Built Quality
The quality of your showerhead materials can be a make-or-break experience. Cheaper models may be made of plastic, which can break or leak sooner rather than later. Opting for a handheld head made of brass or stainless steel like the High Sierra will ensure that it will last longer. Additionally, these durable materials are more resistant to rust and corrosion.
2. Spot Resistance
If you live in an area with hard water, spot resistance will do wonders for the longevity of your showerhead. This will help prevent the build-up of calcium and lime deposits on the shower head and keep aesthetics at their peak. Furthermore, you can get one of the best head filters for hard water.
3. Appearance of the Shower Head
While it’s not really a specification that you need to worry about, it’s something you may want to consider if you are looking to sell your home and increase its value. Some handheld heads come in sleek designs with chrome finishes, but they’re unlikely to prevail in hard water areas VS more basic finishes.
4. Shower Head’s Size, Weight & Coverage
A narrower head may be better if you have a smaller shower stall. Heavier heads are typically sturdy and built to last, but they’re harder to maneuver. Good coverage comes with size and good spray output, which translates to high pressure and anti-clog nozzles.
Things To Consider
1. Daily Usage
Sizable families are likely to use it more frequently. To ensure your handheld shower head functions at its best, it’s essential to maintain it properly. At the very least, clean it often and periodically change the rubber washers for a leak-free experience.
2. Water Flow Rate
A handheld shower head’s average water flow rate is 2.5 gallons per minute (GPM flow rate), excluding Cali. However, several shower heads available have a lower flow rate of 1.5 GPM flow rate or less. This can be an excellent option for those who are looking to save water and reduce their water bill.
The most common way to set up a shower head is to have it mounted as a single fixture. However, if you want to combine it with other shower fixtures or make it part of a more extensive shower system, you might experience a drop in water pressure.
Companies that swear by their shower fixtures, especially those with a price tag, offer excellent customer service and a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. So you can be sure that you are getting a quality product built for the test of time.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I increase the water pressure in my handheld shower?
First, remove the water flow regulator, a small piece of plastic that limits the amount of water coming out of the shower head. Often, this can be done with a pair of pliers. Next, you may want to check for a faulty valve in your shower. Finally, you can try cleaning the shower head with vinegar to remove any built-up deposits that may restrict the water flow.
2. How to clean a handheld shower head with vinegar?
To clean a handheld shower head with vinegar, you will need: distilled white vinegar, a bucket, warm water, and a scrub brush or sponge.
1. Fill a bucket with warm water and add 1 cup of distilled white vinegar.
2. Place the handheld shower head in the bucket and allow it to soak for 30 minutes.
3. Scrub the shower head with a brush or sponge to remove any remaining built-up deposits.
4. Rinse the shower head with warm water and allow it to air dry.
3. How do I know if my home has low water pressure?
Perform a test by running the shower and monitor the water pressure using a pressure gauge. If the reading is below 40 psi, your home likely has low water pressure. Another way is to run a shower faucet or any faucet in your home at full blast and measure the water flow rate. If the flow rate is less than 2 gallons per minute, your water pressure is likely low.
Conclusion: Best Handheld Shower Head for Low Water Pressure on the Market
From this thorough research and review of the best handheld shower heads for low water pressure, we’d have to go for our favorite YOO.MEE model.
It hits the nail on the head in many ways.
Like we said before, we only suggest what has worked for us to achieve the goal – combat low water pressure, all while keeping other aspects at high standards.
That’s how you achieve an exhilarating shower.
The main reason is that not only does the YOO.MEE high pressure shower head combat low water problems, but considering its size, it also gives you a wide water spray function.
When buying a handheld shower head, you want to ensure that it is compatible with your existing shower head configuration and that you’re comfortable with the installation process.
Who doesn’t want a cost-effective shower pressure solution? Upgrade your shower today!